4 A.M. And the phone rings, it's the post office. "Mr. Brodeur your chicks are here in our post office. Would you like to pick them up?"
i jumped out of bed as this has been the anticipated call for the last four weeks as I worked in below freezing temperatures to get an old corn crib required and safe for the acceptance of such fragil little things.
Two days prior we had laid down the country boy pine shavings and setup the brooder leaving the lights on and checking the temperature to make sure it was staying in the 90 degree range. We also placed hay around the bordering barn walls to help prevent drafts.
Out to the corn crib in the dark cold morning I ran with some self made electrolyte water and scooped some fermented chick starter out of the bucket and into a feeder tray. I also placed a bit of newspaper with some feed on it as well.
Temperatures had dipped back to the 20 degrees mark with howling winds and we had freezing rain coming through. Jumped in the truck, started it up and got ready to leave then realized I could not see out the window. Sheet of ice, great. Hopped out scraped out a peep hole and took off down the gravel road.
I arrived at the post office and the workers couldn't have been nicer. I think the chicks brought some joy to the mail room. Picked up the chicks and ran out to the truck and on our way back home we went.
We arrived back to the corn crib and did everything I had read. Checked each chicks rear end for pasty but, dipped each ones into the electrolyte water and set them near the heat lamp.
Checked them a couple times and noticed they were all huddled on one end of the brooder under the 250w lamp. So I swapped out the other lamp which had a 125w lamp and loaded a 250w. then was off to work.
During the day Emilly was home with the boys and had a blast holding their first chicks.
By time I returned from work around five the chicks ate all of the fermented feed and pretty much left the dry stuff alone. I gave them another feeder full of fermented feed and closed them up for the night.
And that was my experience with getting our first batch of 30 Red Ranger Broilers. Now I just have to keep them alive for 12-15 weeks!!! 🐥